CROS and BICROS Hearing Aids
Used for unilateral hearing loss (CROS), or for hearing losses in which the loss in one ear is significantly greater than the other (BI-CROS). Specifically, these are used when one of the ears cannot benefit from a hearing aid.
A microphone is placed on the poorer ear and the signal is then routed to a hearing aid on the better ear. This provides sound from the “dead” or unusable side.
Advantages of using CROS and BICROS:
- Reduced Head-shadow effect.
- The sounds from your deaf side are not “lost”.
- Improved ability to localize sounds (pinpoint where they are coming from).
Some disadvantages includes:
- Seldom getting extra sounds from the bad side which can interfere with the hearing on the good ear. Especially in noisy surroundings.
- Usually shot battery life (2-3 days). Larger batter size 13 is recommended to counter this problem.